Friday, March 02, 2007

On Religion

I've been thinking for the last month or so about how to write about how profoundly my religious beliefs have enlightened my worldview over the past few years. I haven't written anything about it yet because I can't quite get my arms around the entirety of what I want to say. Since "reverting" to Catholicism several years ago, I've been on an insatiable quest to learn all about Christianity in general and Catholicism in particular. Along the way I've continued to stay abreast of world events and have noticed that my strong political views have changed dramatically. As a result, I can clearly see both sides, now, and understand the perspectives of so many of those around me sometimes more clearly than they themselves do. It's enormous to take in, like a flash flood of information and new understanding. Trying to put all that into words to explain outwardly is daunting.

One thing I can say at least, at the bottom line, is that I am more convinced than ever that Catholic faith is the key to seeing things in the world for what they really are, and for also understanding how to approach them. This one religion has started with the Word of God and has worked within a single established framework for adding to its official body of knowledge over the last 2,000 years. Today, it remains true to its understanding of specific rules of morality that were established hundreds of years ago, and it's the only Christian religion to have done so. And while people may call the Church and its teachings "old-fashioned" or "out of step" in 2007, I and other devout Catholics would argue that it is those critics who are out-of-step. Morality does not evolve. It just IS. The Catholic Church has always understood that, and uniquely so.

Once I figure out just what I want to say, I'll break it down into pieces and post it here. I hope you'll stay tuned.