Sunday, January 27, 2008

Truly Unbelievable

I am an avid bicyclist, and I was moved when I read an article a couple months ago in Bicycling magazine about road crashes with vehicles and how the laws in the U.S. are poor (i.e. favor drivers, not cyclists) and opportunities for redress (i.e. lawsuits against drivers) are limited. All the cyclists they profiled had been hit from behind and never saw it coming. It made me nervous to saddle up again.

Then tonight I stumbled into this British article on a guy who hit a kid who was on a bicycle, while speeding, killing the kid, and now the guy is suing the kid's family for the damage to his Audi !!!! I am serious.

He also wants a further 6,000 euros for the cost of hiring another vehicle while his was being repaired.

The scary thing is that this is the U.K. If it could happen there, where I'd think the laws would favor cyclists more than here, then it could definitely happen in the U.S.